Research and Analysis
Sahan undertakes continuous monitoring of security developments in its areas of study. Services include:
- Historical research on local conflicts
- Political economy assessments of regional armed forces and groups
- Analytical reports on terror and crime organisations and their affiliates
Security Sector Assessment and Monitoring
Sahan conducts assessments of fragile governments’ security systems, including the composition, competence, and conduct of national forces. Services include:
- Research and analysis of force composition and conduct
- Risk management analysis
- Consequence management
Areas of Engagement
Countering Violent Extremism
Sahan conducts research and analysis on Countering Violent Extremism (CVE), with a view to developing innovative strategies and techniques.
- Assessing political, security and socio-economic dynamics that give rise to violent extremism
- Identifying, researching and analysing trends and patterns in violent extremism
- Evaluating current strategies and proposing alternate methods for CVE
Radicalism in Kenya: Assessing community resilience
Sahan conducted a study exploring how key resilience factors have prevented or countered violent extremist activity at the local level.
Violent Extremism and Clan Dynamics in Kenya
Study exploring the relationships between resilience and risk to clan violence and violent extremism in the northeast region of Kenya.
Improvised Explosive Devices & Countermeasures
Sahan conducts research and analysis on Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) and strives to implement countermeasures to such threats.
• Post-blast investigation, exploitation, and analysis of evidence from IEDs
• Training for IEDD specialists
• IED threat assessment and risk management strategies
• Iraq and Syria: Investigating ISIS IED and chemical production
Iraq and Syria: Investigating IED and Chemical Attacks
Sahan works with the Kurdistan Region Security Council to investigate the Islamic State’s use of IEDs and chemical weapons against Kurdish Peshmerga forces
Horn of Africa: IED Threat Assessment
Sahan systematically records all IED events and the Tactic, Technique and Procedure used by Al-Shabaab, and other armed groups in the region in order to provides a technical analysis of the IEDs, analyse their effects, identify latest trends, and recommend counter-measures.
Transnational Security Threats
Sahan works with national governments and international bodies to understand and counter transnational security threats, such as terrorist groups, criminal organisations, weapons proliferation, and migration patterns.
- Investigating and analysing the activities of transnational terrorist and criminal groups
- Researching terrorist Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures (TTPs) and countermeasures
- Capacity-building in criminal intelligence analysis, analytical support for investigations, and open source monitoring and analysis
IGAD: Promoting cooperation among member states
Sahan is a partner of the Inter – Governmental Agency for Development (IGAD) Security Sector Program (ISSP) to promote coordination among member states in order to counter transnational security threats in the region.
Human Smuggling and Trafficking
On behalf of governments and international organisations, Sahan monitors and analyses migration patterns and routes, and investigates smuggling and trafficking networks.